This is the tried and tested recipe for getting rid of ants. There are countless reports of its effectiveness and success from people who are overjoyed at finally being ant free. If this is your first attempt at treating a sugar ant infestation, be sure to try this recipe first. If you're unsure if you have sugar ants or not, check out our article which helps you determine whether you have sugar or protein ants.
- 200g of sugar
- 25g boric acid
- 750ml of warm water
- 1 mixing bowl which can hold all the water
- Stirring spoon
- Old glass jar lids
- A glass jar to store the left over bait mixture.
Caution: Keep the baits away from children and pets. While Boric Acid is a least toxic treatment, you don't want your children or pets coming into contact with it.
On the day of laying the baits you have a couple of visitors and maybe a few more. These are the scouts who will consume your delicious fair and hurry back to the nest to tell the others. By day 2, the bait dishes should receive great patronage from the ants. They'll happily help themselves and take it back to the nest for others, especially the queen, to consume. By day 3 you should notice a signification decrease in the ants. By day 4 most of, if not all, the ants will be gone and you'll be ant free!
1. Mix the sugar and boric acid together in a mixing bowl which is large enough to hold the water.
2. Gradually add the warm water, all the time stirring the sugar and boric acid so that it doesn't get too lumpy.
3. Once all the water is added and the sugar and boric acid is dissolved, you're ready to bait-up!
4. Find a location where the ants are found and arrange the jar lids.
5. Pour the bait solution into the lid.
6. To speed up the ants finding the bait, place a couple of drips of the solution over the edge of the lid and on the surrounding surface.
7. The bait should last for a couple of days. If it becomes empty, you can refill it.
8. Once the ants find the bait, leave them be and let them do their work. You can be tempted to spray them, but you want them to take the bait back to the nest. Don't kill the messengers!
9. Any excess you have can be stored in the air tight jar and keep it in a cool dark place, like a laundry cupboard. It will keep for a long time. Be sure to label the jar.
What's your tried and true method for getting rid of ants? There are so many ways to get rid of ants with boric acid and we'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments section below.